Dominican CakePrep: 15 min Cook: 40 min Servings: 50by Yolanda Fernandez97 recipes>
The Dominican is the most popular in the Dominican Republic. Dominican-Americans here in the the States also make it and sell it by the pound. It is a heavy cake but the frosting is light and fluffy.
- 1 lb butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 2 tbs baking powder
- 10 large eggs (5 separate – when you separate this 5 eggs do not discard the whites as you will use them for the frosting.)
- 1 cup milk, orange juice, pineapple or water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or almond extract (I prefer vanilla)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1. Preheat your oven to 350 F (175 C)
- 2. Prepare baking pans. Set aside.
- 3. Mix and sift the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- 4. Mix the liquids (milk, juice or water, and vanilla). Set aside.
- 5. Grate the lemon rind and set aside.
- 6. Separate five eggs and set aside.
- 7. Beat butter at low speed for five minutes, add the sugar slowly. Then bring the mixer to medium speed. Beat for about 10-12 minutes or until it becomes a cream, and the butter becomes pale.
- 8. Reduce the speed of the machine and add 5 yolks to the butter mixture one by one.
- 9. Then slowly add the whole eggs, letting mix well after adding each egg.
- 10. Continue beating for a little more time. (5-7 minutes).
- 11. Add flour and baking powder alternately with liquids. That is, a little flour mixture and a little liquid, and so on. Stop the machine and with a spatula mix well all that is on the edge of the blender and bring them together with the rest of the mixture. Turn mixer again and make sure everything is well mixed. (5-8 minutes). Turn off the machine and add the lemon zest. Mix well with a spatula.
- 12. Pour the mixture into the pans that youâve prepared. Put the pans in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. To see if the cake is cooked, insert a toothpick until it comes out clean. That means your cake is done!
- 13. For the cake that appears in this picture, I use for the bottom tier a 12x2 pan and for the top tier a 7x2 pan, both rounds. I Also double the recipe and made it two pounds.
Leave a review or comment