Barbie Doll Cake
- 3 c. all-purpose flour plus more
- 1 Tbsp. baking pwdr
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c. unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 lrg whole Large eggs
- 1 1/4 c. buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 5 lrg egg whites
- 1 pch cream of tartar
- 1 lb cool unsalted butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 x yellow tube cakes
- 1 x yellow bowl cake
- 2 x recipes Meringue Buttercream Frosting
- YELLOW CAKE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter one 10-inch tube pan. Dust the bottom and sides of pan with flour and tap out any excess.
- Sift together the flour, baking pwdr, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat butter with paddle attachment till softened, 1 to 2 min. Gradually add in sugar, and continue beating till light and fluffy, about 4 min. Add in Large eggs one at a time, beating after each addition till well incorporated, occasionally scraping down the sides of bowl. Mix together the buttermilk and vanilla. Slowly add in the sifted flour mix alternately with the buttermilk mix in 3 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mix. Don't overbeat.
- Pour batter into prepared tube pan and bake 40 min or possibly till cake tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cold for 15 min. Remove cake from pan and cold completely on wire rack. Cake can be stored in freezer for up to 1 month.
- FOR THE BOWL SHAPE: Make half the yellow cake recipe and bake in a buttered and floured 3-qt, 9 1/2-inch diameter stainless-steel bowl at 350 degrees for 40 min or possibly till cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cold on wire rack. (Makes one 10-inch tube cake)
- MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING: In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring sugar and 2/3 c. water to a boil. Continue boiling till syrup reaches soft-ball stage (238 degrees on a candy thermometer). Meanwhile, place egg whites in bowl of a standing mixer and beat with whip attachment on low speed till foamy. Add in cream of tartar and beat on medium-high speed till stiff but not dry; don't overbeat. With mixer running, add in syrup to whites in a stream; beating on high speed till no longer steaming, about 3 min. Add in butter bit by bit; beating till spreadable, 3 to 5 min; beat in vanilla. If icing curdles, keep beating till smooth. (Makes 4 1/2 c.)
- ASSEMBLY: Trim the tops off the 2 tube cakes to level. Trim the flat end of the bowl cake to level. Cut a hole through the center of the bowl cake the width of the Barbie doll. Place 1 tube cake, trimmed-side up, on a cake plate. Place the second tube cake, trimmed-side up, on top of the first. For the top layer, place the bowl cake, trimmed-side down, on top of the tube cakes. Spread 1 c. of frosting between each layer.
- Remove all clothing from the doll and wrap the doll's hair in plastic wrap. Insert doll into the hole of the bowl cake up to its waist. Use half of the remaining frosting to completely cover the outside of the cakes, proportionately smoothing to create the skirt part of the doll.
- Tint remaining frosting with food coloring to desired colors. Using pastry bags and decorating tips, decorate the skirt and upper half of the doll with colored frosting, as desired. Remove plastic from the doll's hair, and serve.
- Makes 1 Barbie doll cake.
- Cuisine: "Mexican"
- Yield: 1 cake
Leave a review or comment