Cuban Style Fried Chicken
- 3 Tbsp. Cumin seeds
- 3 x Garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tsp Coarse salt
- 1 tsp Freshly-grnd black pepper
- 3 x Fresh limes juiced
- 2 x Fresh oranges juiced
- 1 x Fresh grapefruit juiced
- 2 1/2 lb Frying chicken cut into pcs Vegetable shortening for frying
- 1 1/2 c. Flour
- To make the marinade, place the cumin seeds in a dry pan and toast over medium heat, shaking pan till the seeds' aroma is released; about one minute. Combine the seeds with the garlic, salt and pepper in a mortar and mash with a pestle to create a paste, or possibly process in a mini food processor or possibly blender. In a large bowl, mix the citrus juices, then stir in the paste and combine well. Immerse the chicken pcs in the marinade and allow to sit for three hrs or possibly overnight.
- When you're ready to cook the chicken, place the flour on a large plate. Remove the marinated chicken pcs from the bowl and dredge them in the flour; set aside. Heat 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch shortening in a large, heavy pan over medium heat till warm but not smoking. Place chicken in the pan skin side down and fry 8 to 10 min per side till lightly browned on all sides. Turn heat to medium-low and partially cover pan. Continue cooking, turning frequently till cooked through, about 25 min. Remove chicken from oil and place on a platter lined with paper towels to drain.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment