Cuban PicadilloPrep: 45 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 4by Cuban Cuisine9 recipes>
This is a savoury...and sweet twist on your usual beef mince.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 11/2 teaspoon cumin
- you may substitute the above spices by using 2 tablespoon's of Goya's Salzonador, complete Cuban spice mix available through Cuban Cuisine at www.cubancuisine.co.uk.
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup raisins or sultanas
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium white onion (chopped fine)
- 1 small green pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimentos (optional)
- 2 small potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 8 to 10 green olives (pitted)
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil for sautéing
- 1. In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.
- 2. In a frying pan, heat the olive oil. SautÃ© the onions, green pepper, and garlic until soft.
- 3. Add the ground beef mixture, beef stock, tomato paste and tomato sauce. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- 4. Add the diced potato, raisins and bay leaf. Cover and cook another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are done.
- 5. Remove the cover. Add the olives and cook uncovered 15 minutes or until the liquid is fully evaporated, but the meat is still moist.
- 6. Serve the picadillo warm with rice or on a bed of lettuce or let cool and use as a filling for empanadas and papas rellenas. visit www.cubancuisine.co.uk
Leave a review or comment