Crispy Bittergourd FriedPrep: 5 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 1by Malaysian Delicacies428 recipes>
BITTER gourd, by virtue of its name and appearance, is not a popular vegetable. Nevertheless, the health benefits imparted by this vegetable make it a good choice for the health-conscious person. In many Asian traditions, bitter foods are believed to contain disease-fighting phyto-chemicals that may be beneficial to health. Bitter gourd is a typical example.It is advised when cooking bitter gourd, to blanch the gourd in hot water or season with salt before cooking as these help to reduce the bitterness. I normally do this for Indian bitter gourd which has more bitterness in it compare to the Chinese bitter gourd. This recipe is a very simple fried crisp bitter gourd using Chinese bitter gourd.
- ½ a bitter gourd (250gm )
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp(scoop) rice flour
- 3 tsp (scoop) cornflour
- Dash of yellow colouring(optional)
- Hing powder
- Cut bittergourd into half. Remove seeds and clean. Slice thinly at an angle.(You can rub with 1 tsp salt,leave aside for five to six minutes, then wash if preferred). Leave to dry on a kitchen towel.
- Heat 2 cups of oil on medium heat.
- In a bowl , mix in all the ingredients.Do not add water.Sprinkle salt and hing powder on the bittergourd.Mix the flours.Shake well so that it coats the bitterguard.Add the bittergourd in medium heat oil and fry until crisp.Dish out on a kitchen paper to absorb excess oil. Leave to cool before storing in an air tight bottle or container.
- Note: Advisable to consume all in the same day.
Leave a review or comment