Cream Of Tortilla Soup
- 2 can chicken broth (14 1/2-oz)
- 1/2 c. butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 med onion diced
- 1/2 c. diced celery
- 2 x garlic cloves chopped
- 1 med tomato minced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 c. crushed unsalted tortilla chips
- 1 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1/4 c. whipping cream
- 1 c. grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1 c. grated cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 tsp chili pwdr
- 2 tsp grnd cumin Crushed unsalted tortilla chips
- Bring chicken broth to boil in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add in onion, celery and garlic and saute/fry till onion is translucent/soft, about 4 min. Reserve 1 Tbsp. minced tomato and 2 Tbsp. chives for garnish. Add in remaining tomato, chives and 1 1/2 c. tortilla chips to saucepan and saute/fry 2 min. Reduce heat to low. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. flour over and stir mix for 2 min.
- Stir chicken broth into tortilla mix. Cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat. Stir in whipping cream. Add in grated Jack and cheddar cheese and stir mix till cheese is melted and well blended. Add in chili pwdr and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared
- 1 day ahead. Cover tightly and chill. Rewarm soup over low heat, stirring frequently.) Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle each with some of reserved tomato and chives and crushed tortilla chips and serve.
- Serves 6.
Leave a review or comment