Cranberry-Orange Cream SconesPrep: 25 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 8by Joyce Leung6 recipes>
A quick recipe for beginners and very easy to make home made scones.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ¼ -inch pieces and chilled
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh orange zest
- 1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Add orange zest to butter and add butter to flour mixture. Mix butter into the flour with hands until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal with a few slightly larger butter lumps. Stir in the cranberries. Stir in the cream with a rubber spatula until the dough begins to form, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- 3. Turn the dough and any flour bits out onto a floured counter and knead until it forms a rough, slightly sticky ball, 5 â 10 seconds. Press the dough into a 9-inch cake pan. Flip the dough out of the pan onto the counter or cutting board, and cut into 8 wedges.
- 4. Place the wedges on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the scone tops a lightly golden brown, 12 â 15 minutes, rotating the pan half way through baking. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Adapted from The Americanâs Test Kitchen Family Baking Book.
Leave a review or comment