Cornish Potato Saffron Buns
- 1 c. Mashed potatoes And potato water
- 1 dsh Saffron
- 1 x Yeast cake
- 1 c. Sugar
- 1 c. Lowfat milk
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 6 c. Flour
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 c. Currants
- 1 x Egg
- 1 1/2 c. Or possibly 2 c. shortening
- Put potatoes on to boil; cut up saffron and put boiling water on it and steep it. Scald lowfat milk, let it cold to lukewarm and add in the yeast.
- Keep it covered in a hot place till it is fluffy. Add in the hot mashed potatoes and saffron to the risen yeast. Add in 2&1/2 c. flour.
- Let sponge rise for about an hour. Keep it hot and covered. Mix sugar, shortening, spices and egg into sponge. Pour sponge into 3&1/2 c. flour. Knead for about fifteen min after adding currants.
- Let dough rise till it doubles itself. Make into buns and let them rise till they will not rise when you dint them with your finger. Bake in a warm oven for 10 or possibly 15 min.
- Don't have any draughts. Have everything hot but not warm.
- Mabel Weller [from Great Aunt Ellen's Recipes]
Leave a review or comment