Collard Greens, corn and Tortilla StrataPrep: 20 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 6by Julia Ann Souders62 recipes>
A layered casserole of vegetables and flour tortillas. A vegetarian side dish to be enjoyed with or without a meat entree. It's an American Lasagna! A side dish with lots of antioxidants to boost immunity. Recipe adapted from "Fight Back with Food: Use Nutrition to Heal What Ails You," Readers Digest Association, Inc., 2002. 2007-2014 Netta Belle's Choice cookbookinabox "Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off." All Rights reserved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 10 ounces of fresh collard greens, chopped, blanched and well-drained OR 10 ounces frozen chopped collard greens, thawed and squeezed dry.
- 3 cups 1% milk
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup roasted red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tortillas (8-inch diameter) halved
- 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Grease a 2 1/2 quart or 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil, add the garlic, cook until soft.
- Add the collard greens, cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Combine milk, salt, pepper sauce into the flour, stir until smooth.
- Add the milk mixture to the collard greens.
- Stir until the sauce is creamy and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add corn and roasted red bell peppers, heat about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese until melted.
- Arrange layer of tortillas on bottom of casserole.
- Cover with half of collard/corn mixture.
- Add another layer of tortillas, cover with remainer of vegetables.
- Sprinkle top of casserole with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes of until casserole is hot and bubbling.
Leave a review or comment