Coach House Black Bean Soup
- This flavorful soup is a wonderful hit when the weather gets chilly.
- 1 lb dry black beans
- 2 1/2 quart water
- 5 x strips bacon, cut in small pcs
- 2 x ribs celery, minced
- 2 med onions, minced
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 x smoked ham hocks
- 3 sprg fresh parsley
- 2 x bay leaves
- 2 x cloves garlic, halved
- 2 x carrots, diced
- 2 x parsnips, minced
- 1/4 tsp grnd pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 3/4 c. Madeira or possibly dry sherry
- 2 x hard-cooked Large eggs, peeled and minced
- Wash beans, cover with cool water and soak overnight. Drain and wash again.
- Place them in a large pot with the 2 1/2 qts water. Cover and simmer 90 min.
- Meanwhile, in a large, heavy-bottomed pot, saute/fry the bacon over medium-high heat till lightly browned. Add in celery and onion and cook till the onions are tender and transparent. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add in ham hock, parsley, bay leaves, garlic, carrots, parsnips, pepper, salt and beans
- (with their cooking liquid).
- Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 3 hrs. Add in more water if necessary to keep mix very loose.
- Remove soup from heat and remove ham hocks. Ladle half of the soup into a blender and puree. Remove any meat from the ham bone or possibly hocks, chop fine and return to soup, along with the blended soup, Madeira wine and minced Large eggs.
- Soup may be prepared up to 2 days in advance. When ready to transport to the game or possibly the picnic, bring mix to a boil and gently simmer for 5 min.
- Pour warm soup into a pre-heated vacuum bottle.
Leave a review or comment