Chocolate Fudge Cake (A. K. A. Death By Chocolate)
- 10 ounce Baker's semi-sweet chocolate (don't substitute)
- 1/2 c. Lightly salted butter
- 6 lrg Large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1 c. Granulated sugar
- 2 x To 4 tsp creme de cacao, Kahlua or possibly dark rum
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Butter and powdered cocoa for the pan
- 1 c. Lowfat sour cream at room temperature
- 14 ounce Baker's semi-sweet chocolate (don't substitute)
- Cake:Place oven rack in lower third of the oven, and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8 inch springform pan, and coat with powdered cocoa.
- Heat chocolate and butter in a double boiler over warm, but*not boiling*, water. (do not rush this step, chocolate burns easily)
- Beat egg yolks in a lg mixer bowl at high speed, gradually adding 3/4 c of the granulated sugar. Beat till yolk mix is pale yellow and thick, 4 to 6 min. Add in melted chocolate mix to the yolk mix. Beat till completely smooth. Add in vanilla and liquor of your choice. Beat till blended.
- Beat egg whites in mdm mixer bowl at high speed till soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat remaining 1/4 c granulated sugar into whites; continue beating till stiff but not dry peaks form. Fold whites*gently* but thoroughly into chocolate mix. Pour batter proportionately into pan; smooth top.
- Bake 15 min. Reduce oven to 350 degrees; bake another 15 min.
- Reduce oven temp to 250; bake 30 min longer (total baking time is 1 hour). Turn off oven; prop open oven door and allow cake to remain in oven for 30 min. Remove cake from oven and cover top with damp paper towelling; let stand 5 min.
- Remove towelling and cold cake completely. Dome of cake will crack and collapse; this is normal - press top of cake down lightly to smooth top. Remove springform and transfer cake to serving platter.
- To make the frosting:Heat chocolate in double boiler over warm but not boiling water. Using a wooden spoon, fold in lowfat sour cream. Pour over the cake. Let cold and harden.
Leave a review or comment