Chocolate Chestnut RouladePrep: 1 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 10by Vijay Dhawan28 recipes>
Easy, delicious and healthy Chocolate Chestnut Roulade recipe.
- • 175g / 6oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- • 30ml /2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- • 60ml / 4tbsp hot strong coffee or espresso
- • 6 eggs, separated
- • 75g/ 3oz /6tbsp caster sugar pinch of tartar
- • 5ml 1 tsp pure vanilla essence cocoa powder, for dusting glace chestnuts , to decorate
- CHESTNUT CREAM FILLING
- • 475ML / 16FL OZ / 2 CUP double cream
- • 30ml / 2 tbsp run or coffee-flavored liqueur
- • 350g /12 oz /1 ½ cup canned sweetened chestnut puree
- • 115g / 4oz bittersweet chocolate, grated
- 1. Preheat over to 1800C /3500F/ Gas 4. Lightly grease the base and sides of a 39 x 27 x 2.5 cm / 15 ½ x 10 ½ x 1 in Swiss roll tin. Line with non-stick Baking Paper, allowing a 2.5 cm / 1 in overhang. Melt the chocolate. Dissolve the coca in the hot coffee to make a paste. Set aside.
- 2. Using a hand-held mixer, beat the egg yolks with half the sugar in a mixing bowl until pale and thick. Slowly beat in the melted chocolate and cocoa-coffee paste until just blended. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and Cream of tartar until stiff peaks from. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the whites in two Batches and beat until the whites are stiff and glossy, then beat in the vanilla essence
- 3. Stir a spoonful of the whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it, then fold in the rest. Spoon into the tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the a fingertip.
- 4. Dust a dish towel with coca. Turn the cake out on to the towel immediately and remove the at a narrow end, roll the cake towel together Swiss roll fashion. Cool completely.
- 5. Make the filling. Whip the cream and run or liqueur until soft peaks from. Beat a spoonful of cream into the chestnut puree to lighten, then folder in the remaining cream and grated chocolate. Set aside a quarter of the mixture for the chocolate. Unroll the cake and spread chestnut cream to within 2.5 cm / 1 in of the egg.
- 6. Using a dish towel to lift the cake, carefully roll it up again. Place seam-side down on a serving plate. Spread some of the reserved chestnut cream over the top and use the rest for piped rosettes. Decorate with the glace chestnuts.
Leave a review or comment