Chilled White Bean Salsa Soup
- 1 c. Dry white beans picked over (e. i. cannellini or possibly Great Northern beans)
- 1 x Yellow onion halved
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 1 x Fresh thyme sprig
- 2 1/4 lb Vine-ripened tomatoes cored, quartered
- 1 med Red bell pepper minced fine
- 1 med Yellow bell pepper minced fine
- 1 med Red onion minced fine
- 1 sm Fresh jalapeno chili chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Red-wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil Salt to taste
- 1/4 c. Fresh coriander sprigs - (packed) washed well, spun dry, and minced fine Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- In a 4-qt saucepan simmer beans, yellow onion, bay leaf, and thyme in water to cover by 3 inches, partially covered with lid, till beans are tender, about 50 min. Season beans with salt and cold completely in cooking liquid. Drain beans in a colander and throw away yellow onion, bay leaf, and thyme. Beans may be cooked 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Finely chop sufficient of tomatoes to measure 1 1/2 c. and reserve. In a blender puree remaining tomatoes, half of bell peppers, and half of onion till smooth and in a bowl stir together puree, beans, reserved tomatoes, remaining bell peppers and red onion, jalapeno, vinegar, oil, and salt to taste. Refrigeratesoup, covered at least till cool, about 6 hrs, and up to 1 day. Before serving, stir in coriander and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- This recipe yields 8 c., 4 main course servings.
Leave a review or comment