Chicken With Pineapple (Bo Lo Shao Ji)
- 1 whl chicken (about 2 pounds)
- 4 Tbsp. Light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Sake or possibly Chinese rice wine
- 1 x Onion, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 slc Canned pineapple, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2/3 c. Juice from the pineapple can
- 2 1/2 c. Water
- 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbsp. water)
- 1 Tbsp. Sasame oil Chinese parsley for garnish
- 3 Tbsp. Salad oil
- 3 c. Oil for deep-frying
- Clean the cavity of the chicken with a cloth. Prick all over the skin with a fork. Wipe off any moisture. Place the chicken in a bowl. Pour Mix A over the chicken and let stand for about 30 min. Remove the chicken and reserve the marinade.
- Heat 3 c. of frying oil to 350F in a wok. Add in the chicken and fry till golden brown, spooning warm oil over it from time to time with a ladle.
- Remove the chicken and drain on a rack. Pour off oil from the wok.
- Heat 3 Tbsp. fresh salad oil in the wok and sute the onions till they become fragrant. Add in the reserved marinade and pineapple juice; bring to a boil. Add in the water and chicken. Cover and cook for 25 min.
- Remove the chicken when the liquid is reduced to 1 c.. Add in the pineapple chunls top the liquid and cook over very low heat for 15 min.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken into 2-inch pcs, leaving the bone attached. Arrange them on a platter.
- If necessary, thicken the pineapple sauce with a litle dissolved cornstarch. Sprinkle with sesame oil and stir well. Pour the sauce over the chicken, garnish with Chinese parsley (coriander) leaves and serve.
Leave a review or comment