Chicken Pot PiePrep: 1 hours Cook: 1 hours Servings: 4by B Innes83 recipes>
Chicken pot pie is one the great comfort foods of all time! With a little work and fresh vegetables it is a meal that will satisfy everyone. If you happen to be an accomplished baker by all means make your own pastry dough, adding a few savory spices to add to the mix. Again if you are comfortable rolling out dough and cutting it and have the right size oven proof bowls, make individual pies. This recipe goes for expedience over style using 2 store bought pie crusts and a 9" pie dish.
- 2 pie crusts
- 3 boned and skinned chicken breasts (poached)
- 3-4 cups chicken stock or water for poaching
- 2-3 Tbs Bell's poultry seasoning
- 3-4 large carrots diced
- 3-4 celery stalks diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1½ cups frozen peas (thawed)
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 6 Tbs butter
- 6 Tbs all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup white wine
- Salt & pepper to taste
- To poach the chicken:
- Begin by placing the chicken into a pot large enough to cover with stock in a single layer, add 1 Tbs Bell's poultry seasoning. Bring the chicken and stock up to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Once poached, remove the chicken and allow it to cool. Discard the stock. When the chicken is cooled enough to handle, with your hands or a fork shred the chicken into bite size pieces.
- To prepare the filling:
- Into a large sauté pan place the butter,carrots, celery and onion and on medium to medium high heat cook the vegetables until the onion is translucent and celery softened. Now add the garlic and cook a few minutes more. Add the white wine and cook, allowing the wine to reduce by half.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir to combine until all raw flour is gone. Turn the heat up and add the stock and milk and continue to stir the mixture until it begins to boil and thicken. You should have a fairly thick sauce.
- Into this mixture place the chicken, the peas 1-2 Tbs of the Bell's seasoning and about 1 tsp each salt and pepper. Stir to combine all the ingredients. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Place one of the pie crusts into a 9" pie pan, spoon the mixture into the pan until it is full ( you may have a little of the mixture left over).
- Cover the mixture with the second crust, crimp the edges to seal and cut a few slits into the crust to allow steam to escape. Place immediately into the center of a 425° oven (place a sheet pan on a rack below the pie to catch any filling that bubbles over) and bake for 45 - 60 minutes until the crust is browned and the filling is bubbly.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and let the pie sit on a wire rack for 5- 10 minutes.
- Cut wedges and scoop out, will make 4-6 servings.
Leave a review or comment