Chicken Pot EmpanadasPrep: 40 min Cook: 40 min Servings: 8by ExhilaratingChef2 recipes>
Try a new twist on the classic Chicken Pot Pie. This healthy version will sure bring back the memories of classic home recipes.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups shortening
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter/margarine blend
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup, all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Also Salt (salt substitute)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1/2 cup lowfat milk (1%)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken breast meat, no skin, shredded
- 1 (10oz) package Green Giant mixed vegetables
- Heat oven to 425°F. Combine flour and salt in large bowl; cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumb. Mix in enough cold water with fork until flour is moistened. Divide dough into 8 balls; flatten slightly.
- Roll out balls of dough on lightly floured surface into 6-inch circle. Fold into quarters. Place dough onto parchment paper; unfold dough, pressing firmly against paper; set aside.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour,Also Salt and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened. Stir in chicken and mixed vegetables. Remove from heat. Spoon into center of each dough circle.
- Fold dough over filling, shaping into 1/2 circles. Trim, seal and crimp or flute edges.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. During last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover edge of crust with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Leave a review or comment