Chicken cooked with Lentils and Vegetables (Chicken Dhansak)Prep: 30 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 4by Manju Nair170 recipes>
Chicken Dhansak is a popular dish among Parsee cuisine. It's a different approach to traditional Indian chicken curry and I must say it is a perfect dish, complete with lentils, vegetables and chicken. This was my first try and it came out simply finger licking good. I made slight variations from the original recipe for ease of preparation and unavailability of certain spices in my pantry :-) This recipe was take from the book 'The Great Curries of India' by Camellia Panjabi.
- Chicken - 3 lbs ( with or without bone, cut into small pieces)
- Toor dal (yellow pigeon peas) - 1 cup
- Carrots - 2 medium (chopped)
- Potatoes - 2 small yukon gold potatoes (chopped)
- Pumpkin - 7oz (chopped)
- Onions - 2 large ( chopped)
- Garlic cloves - 4
- Ginger - 1.5inch
- Cilantro - 1cup + 1tbsp (chopped)
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- dried fenugreek leave(kasuri methi) - 2tsp
- Roma tomatoes - 3large (chopped)
- Green chillies - 3-4
- Garam masala - 1tsp
- Chicken masala - 1.5tbsp
- Sambar powder (optional)- 1tbsp
- Red chilli powder / Paprika (optional) - 1tsp
- Chicken stock - 2 cups
- Tamarind water - 1/2 cup
- Oil - 2tbsp
- Jaggery - 1tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 lime
- Salt - to taste
- Soak the toor daal (Yellow Pigeon peas) in water for 30mins.
- Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of water for 15mins.
- Chop 2 garlic cloves and 1/2 inch of ginger into thin slices and keep aside.
- In a large pot add 3 cups of water and cook the toor dal, once the dal begins to boil , add the chopped carrots, potatoes, pumpkin, 1 chopped onion ,1tbsp cilantro leaves and crush the remaining 1 inch ginger and 2garlic cloves and add to the daal.
- Add turmeric and enough salt to season the lentils and let it cook well.
- Once the dal is cooked soft, lightly mash the entire mixture so that it thickens.
- While the daal and veggie mixture cooks, parallely heat the oil in a large pan and fry the slices of ginger, garlic, the other chopped onion ,green chillies , 1 cup of cilantro, dried fenugreek leaves and tomatoes for 1minute.
- Add the Garam masal, chicken masala, sambar powder and redchilli powder / Paprika and fry for another minute.
- Add the chicken pieces and saute for 3-4minutes, until chicken just starts to cook.
- Now add the lentils-veggies mixture into the pan along with 2cups of chicken stock and let it simmer until the chicken is well cooked (best done with lid closed)
- Season with salt as required.
- Lastly add the tamarind water , jaggery and lime juice and let it simmer.
- For the gravy to thicken , simmer without closing with a lid for another 2 mins. Now it is ready to serve!
- Suggestions: For veggies you may also add Brinjal (eggplant)
- You can add or reduce the spice as per your taste.
Leave a review or comment