Chicken and Grapefruit SouvlakiPrep: 10 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 4by Enda Love75 recipes>
Emily Richards, Home Economist, suggests adding grapefruit to dishes to give them an extra boost of flavour. Florida grapefruit is in season now and is a versatile ingredient that adds the perfect blend of sweetness, tanginess, and sophistication to everyday meals. Try Emily's recipe below that uses Florida grapefruit and garlic to create a juicy marinade for chicken skewers.
- • 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated Florida grapefruit zest
- • 1/4 cup (60 mL) Florida grapefruit juice
- • 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- • 3 cloves garlic, minced
- • 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano leaves
- • 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and fresh ground pepper
- • 1 lb (454 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- • 1 sweet onion, cut in chunks
- • 4 Florida grapefruit wedges, cut in half crosswise
- Yogurt Sauce:
- • 1/2 cup (125 mL) 0% plain Greek yogurt
- • 2 tbsp (30 mL) Florida grapefruit juice
- • 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh mint
- • 1 clove garlic, minced
- • 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- In a shallow dish, stir together grapefruit zest, juice, oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Yogurt Sauce: In a bowl, stir together yogurt, grapefruit juice, mint, garlic and salt. Cover and refrigerate.
- Skewer chicken and onion onto 8 soaked skewers and end each with a grapefruit wedge. Place on foil lined baking sheet. Roast in 425 F (220 C) oven for about 15 minutes or until golden and chicken is no longer pink inside. Serve with Yogurt Sauce.
- Broiling Option: Place skewers about 6 inches (15 cm) from broiler and cook for about 4 minutes per side or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Tip: Soak wooden/bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before skewering chicken.
Leave a review or comment