Chicken and Eggplant StewPrep: 10 min Cook: 40 min Servings: 4by Nancy Miyasaki193 recipes>
This recipe was given to me by my good friend Brian Bedrosian. He raved about it, so we made it last night. It was very tasty. Our kids all ate second helpings and we ended up with nothing left! I altered his ingredients just slightly, and show that in parenthesis below. We served this over a simple bulgur pilaf made with half water and half chicken stock. Delicious!
- 3 chicken breasts cubed (I used 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
- 1 large eggplant cubed
- 1 large yellow onion chopped large
- 5 cloves garlic chopped (I used 6)
- ½ tsp fresh ginger diced (I used 1 heaping tsp)
- 1 large green bell pepper diced
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 14 oz can diced, stewed tomatoes
- ½ cup olive oil (I used about 1/3 cup)
- Tbs[ black pepper
- Tbsp salt (I used 1 Tbsp Kosher salt)
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp cumin (I used 1 tsp)
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp kalonji (Nigella seed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigella_sativa) (I substituted black mustard seed because I had it)
- Combine all dry spices in bowl and set aside.
- Wash and chop eggplant (skin on) and sprinkle with Kosher salt. Let the eggplant sit (the salt will leach out a little bitterness).
- In a large skillet, pour in most of the olive oil and heat. Add onions cook for about two minutes. Then add bell pepper, garlic, and ginger and cook until onion and bell pepper begins to soften. Add eggplant and continue sautÃ© until eggplant softens. Add some of the salt and pepper while cooking.
- Heat tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes in sauce pan to gentle boil. When all vegetables are softened, add hot tomato sauce bringing back to a boil, cover and simmer with lid on, about 15 minutes.
- While vegetables are cooking, cook chicken pieces in a small amount of oil, with salt and pepper until all pink meat has turned white. Add the dry seasonings to the chicken and mix thoroughly.
- Add chicken to simmering vegetable mix and stir, using a spatula to get all of the dry seasonings into the pot.
- Simmer lid off, for about 10 mins.
- Serve hot with bulgur pilaf.
Leave a review or comment