Made these bars for Mothe's Day, and used Splenda for the white sugar. They are so easy! and so delicious. I love the generous ratio of chocolate. This went to the top of my favorites list immediately! Go, Salad Foodie, Go!
Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bar CookiesPrep: 15 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 20by Salad Foodie405 recipes>
Quick to make, these bar cookies are a sister version of drop cookies (the dough can actually be made into those if you prefer.) Oatmeal and nuts provide a light crunchiness to the moist and munchy texture. In brief - a delightful cookie your company will love!
- 1 stick butter, softened (1/4 pound)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar*
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar*
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7/8 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8" x 8" baking pan.
- Beat butter, brown and granulated sugars together well. Add egg, milk and vanilla and beat well.
- In another bowl stir together flour, soda, salt, oatmeal, chocolate chips and nuts. Add to creamed mixture, blending well.
- Press dough into bottom of pan, smoothing evenly. Bake 25-30 minutes until dough begins to pull away from sides and top is golden brown. (To make drop cookies out of dough, drop by rounded tablespoons onto lightly sprayed cookie sheets. Bake 9-10 minutes for chewy cookies, or 12-13 minutes for crisp cookies.)
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack thoroughly before cutting. Cut into 20 bars. Store tightly covered.
- *NOTE - I have made these before, substituting brown sugar blend for the brown sugar, and C & H Light (sugar & stevia blend) for the granulated sugar and they have turned out perfectly sweet and delicious.
Leave a review or comment