Cake L'orange (Orange Cake)
- 2 c. Sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 c. Butter (or possibly margarine)
- 1 tsp Baking pwdr
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 1/4 c. Sugar
- 3 x Large eggs, separated
- 1 ct (8-ounce) lowfat sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. Grated orange rind
- 1/2 c. Minced walnuts or possibly pecans
- 1/4 c. Orange juice
- 1 tsp Orange-flavored essence (or possibly orange liqueur)
- 2 Tbsp. Minced nuts
- Sift flour, baking pwdr and baking soda onto wax paper or possibly a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Beat egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer till stiff but not dry. Set aside.
- Beat butter, 1 c. of the sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl till light and fluffy. Add in flour mix alternately with lowfat sour cream, starting and ending with flour. Stir in orange rind and c. minced walnuts (or possibly pecans).
- Mix in the beaten egg whites. Spoon batter into a greased 9-inch tube pan.
- Bake in preheated oven (350 F) for 50 min or possibly till a wooden pick inserted in top comes out clean.
- Combine orange juice and remaining 1/4 c. sugar in a small saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, over low heat just till sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the orange essence. Spoon mix over warm cake.
- Sprinkle with 2 table-spoons nuts. Cold cake in pan on wire rack for 15 min; loosen around the edge of the pan with a knife and turn out onto wire rack. Cold completely.
- Notes: Use a rectangular 9"x13" pan instead of a tube pan, if you wish.
- Reduce baking time by 10 min and check for doneness. If you do not want a very "soggy" cake, use a little less orange juice than called for.
Leave a review or comment