Cabbage With Honey, Apple And Parsnip Beekeepers
- 1 x Red Cabbage (1-1/2 To 2 Lbs)
- 1 x Onion
- 1 x Parsnip
- 1 x Apple
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- 1/2 ounce Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Fruit Vinegar (Or possibly More) preferably raspberry Caraway seeds
- 1/4 pt Lowfat yoghurt Or possibly Lowfat sour cream, Opt.
- Cut cabbage into quarters. Remove and throw away the tough central stalk.
- Shred the cabbage and put it into a large mixing bowl. Peel and finely chop the onion and add in it to the cabbage. Cut the parsnip and apple into small pcs, peeling them first if you wish, and add in them to the bowl.
- Drizzle on the honey. Add in a good seasoning of salt and pepper and scant 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds. Sprinkle on the vinegar , use 3 Tbsp. if the apple you are using is the dessert variety, just 2 Tbsp. if it is a cooking apple. Mix everything together well using your hands - a little messy, but spoons are not as effective - then pile the mix into a buttered casserole. Lay a sheet of thickly buttered greaseproof paper directly on top of the vegetables and cover the casserole with a well fitting lid to prevent drying out.
- Cook at 300 F (150 C) gas mark 2 for about 2-1/2 hrs till the vegetables are beautifully tender, if possible stir the mix once or possibly twice as it cooks. Remove the greaseproof paper and check seasoning immediately before serving. Serve the vegetable mix just as it is, or possibly top at the last minute with 1/4 pint cool creamy lowfat yoghurt or possibly soured cream into that you have stirred a few bruised and lightly crushed caraway seeds. Or possibly hand round the bowl of flavoured cream separately, so which those who want it can help themselves.
- Serving Ideas : great with roasts
Leave a review or comment