Brisket with leeks, carrots, and garlic
This is a great dish to serve a group of family or friends. Perfect on a brisk fall or winter day. You can make it up to a day or two ahead. The flavors only improve with time! Serve with mashed potatoes , yams, green beans or spinach.
- 4-5 pound beef brisket
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 leeks (white and green parts only) sliced
- 5 carrots peeled and sliced
- 14 garlic cloves, whole peeled
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Dry brisket and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat oil over medium-high in a large roasting pan. Brown the brisket, about 4 minutes per side
- Add the leeks, carrots and garlic. Add the wine, tomato paste, and thyme and stir. Bring to boil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover, remove from stove, and braise in oven for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or until tender.
- Transfer meat to carving platter and carve against the grain.
- Place the pan over medium high heat and cook the sauce to reduce (if needed) 3-5 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Put meat on serving platter, pour sauce over meat, garnish with parsley, and serve!
- If made in advance, remove congealed fat and reheat at 350 F for approx 30 minutes before serving.
Leave a review or comment