Boiled Fruit Cake
This dark fruit cake recipe has been in our family for over 50 years. Very moist and delicious. It can be frozen if well wrapped for several months. I often make this in small pans and wrap for addition to Christmas baskets.
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 lb raisins
- 1/2 lb currents
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans - broken
- 1 cup dried dates - cut in 4 pieces
- 1 cup glazed cherries
- Add all ingredients into a large pot and boil for 2 minutes mixing well.
- Put aside to cool down. When cooled add the following:
- 3 1/2 cups white flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- Mix well and place in a well greased and floured tube pan or use several small gift sized pans. Bake 300 degrees for approx. 2 hrs.
- Once cooled liberally brush with dark rum - wrap in cheese cloth then freezer wrap.
Leave a review or comment