Black And White Bean Soup With Tomatillo Salsa
- 1 c. Dry black beans washed, picked over
- 1 c. Dry white beans washed, picked over
- 8 c. Water
- 4 slc Bacon coarsely minced
- 2 lrg Onions diced
- 2 x Carrots peeled and diced
- 2 x Garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tsp Coarse salt
- 1 lrg Tomato diced
- 2 x Bay leaves
- 2 x Canned chipotle chiles
- 6 c. Vegetable Stock see * Note
- 1 x Lime halved
- 1/2 c. Madeira wine Tomatillo Salsa (Green Salsa) see * Note
- Place the black beans in a medium saucepan with 4 c. of the water and bring to a boil. Place the white beans in another medium saucepan with remaining 4 c. of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook till both pots of beans are soft, about 1 hour. Remove from the heat.
- In another large saucepan, saute/fry 2 slices of the bacon over medium heat till crispy. Remove bacon, saving grease in pan. Add in 1/2 of the diced onions and all of the carrots and cook over medium-low heat till onions are lightly browned, about 15 min. Then add in 1/2 of the garlic and 1/2 tsp. of the salt, stirring constantly, till the garlic aroma is released, 12 min. Stir in the black beans and their liquid, along with the tomato, 1 bay leaf and 1 chipotle chile. Pour in 3 c. of the Vegetable Stock. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, an additional 30 min.
- Repeat the entire procedure with the white beans, using the remaining bacon, onion, garlic, salt, bay leaf, chipotle chile and stock.
- Remove bay leaves and transfer black bean mix to a blender in batches and puree till smooth, pulsing the machine on and off till it begins to liquefy. (Be sure to leave space for the air to escape.) Return to a clean saucepan. Rinse out blender and repeat with white bean mix.
- Reheat soups over low heat, squeeze half of a lime into each and 1/4 c. of Madeira into saucepans and stir to blend. Adjust seasoning.
- Using two ladles, carefully ladle the two soups side by side into one bowl, so which half is black and half is white. Garnish with Tomatillo Salsa.
- This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment