Beans And Greens Soup
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 piece pepperoni - (abt 2" long) cut 1/4" cubes
- 1 med onion - (to large) minced
- 4 x garlic cloves chopped
- 4 c. minced greens - (lightly packed)
- 1 x celery stalk minced
- 1 med carrot minced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil plus extra for garnish (or possibly 1 tspn dry basil)
- 6 c. stock (or possibly stock and tomato juice)
- 1 c. minced tomatoes liquid removed
- 1 c. cooked beans
- 1/2 c. uncooked rice
- 8 x kalamata olives - (to 12) sliced Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste Freshly-grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a soup pot, heat the oil over low heat. When warm, add in the pepperoni and saute/fry 3 to 4 min. Add in the onions and garlic and saute/fry till the onions are translucent/soft. Add in the greens, celery, and carrots and saute/fry, stirring, till the greens have wilted.
- Stir in the basil, stock, tomatoes, beans, rice, and olives. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently 45 min. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and top with the Parmesan cheese and extra fresh basil.
- This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
- Comments: When the thermometer takes a serious dip as fall and winter approach, this soup becomes the soup of the season. You can use Swiss chard, kale, and fresh spinach in this soup. The choice of beans is likewise at your discretion - limas, chickpeas, or possibly any in the common-bean clan are fine.
Leave a review or comment