Basundi Recipe (Gujarati Milk Pudding)Prep: 15 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 6by Hina Gujral170 recipes>
Basundi Recipe is a traditional Gujarati milk pudding laced with the rich flavor of saffron and dry fruits. We are slowly and steadily creeping into the celebratory mood with all the Indian festivals lined up in the coming month. During the festive season we don’t mind to come out of our cocoon and share some light moments with the loved ones. In our family gleeful memories are often interlinked with good food. The jubilant moments are shared with each other over a table laid with delicious homemade food.
- 1 liter full fat milk
- 5 - 6 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 12 to 15 pistachio, chopped
- 12 to 15 almonds, skin removed
- 1/4 tsp strands of saffron ( buy it here )
- a pinch of nutmeg powder
- 1/2 Cup sugar or to taste
- Ingredients to garnish
- 1 tsp of pistachio slivers
- 1 tsp almond slivers
- few strands of saffron
- Organic dried rose petals
- To prepare basundi, soak saffron in 2 tablespoon of warm milk. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Pour remaining milk in a thick bottomed pan ( buy it here ) and heat over medium flame.
- Add the crushed cardamom pods, soaked saffron strands, nutmeg powder to the milk and stir to combine.
- Heat milk on a low-medium flame and bring to a gentle boil. Keep on stirring at intervals so that the mixture does not get browned or burnt from bottom.
- Now add sugar, stir to combine and let milk simmer over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a mixer ( buy it here ) make a dry coarse powder of pistachio and almond. Add this mixture in the milk and stir to combine.
- The basundi would begin to thicken. Scrape the milk solids from the sides and the cream collected on the top and add it back to the basundi mixture. Keep on stirring the basundi while it is simmering.
- Once Basundi reaches a thick yet pouring consistency. Turn off the heat. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Serve basundi warm or chilled garnished with dry fruits slivers, saffron and rose petals.
Leave a review or comment