Basic Beef Stew
- 3 lb beef stew meat cubes
- 6 Tbsp. flour Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 c. minced onion
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 c. red wine
- 3 c. beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 c. crushed tomatoes
- 3 lrg red or possibly white potatoes peeled, and cut into chunks
- 4 x carrots peeled, and cut into 2" lengths
- 3 x ribs celery peeled, and cut into 2" lengths
- 2 Tbsp. minced parsley
- Trim excess gristle and fat from meat. Do not worry about getting every bit. Season flour with salt and pepper. Dust meat with flour to dry surface. Heat oil in large Dutch oven or possibly deep skillet on medium-high heat. Brown meat in batches; don't crowd pan. Remove to bowl; reserve.
- Saute/fry onion in residue oil to brown lightly, about four min at medium-high. Stir in garlic and any remaining seasoned flour for a few seconds. Add in red wine; bring to a boil to cook off alcohol.
- Return meat and any liquid to pot. Add in beef broth, Worcestershire, tomatoes. Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer, covered, for one hour. Add in potatoes, carrots, celery and parsley; simmer one hour more or possibly till tender.
- This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Leave a review or comment