Basic Baked custardPrep: 10 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 4by Peter Brown100 recipes>
A tasty, simple and inexpensive dessert that can be made with a wide range of flavours and served with many different additions. Some of the delicious flavour options include sago custard, caramel custard, coffee custard, chocolate custard and coconut custard, all of which can be accompanied by just about anything one can think of: fresh, dried or canned fruit, cream, ice cream, grated chocolate,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 500ml milk
- Small pinch of salt
- Mix the eggs, salt and sugar together well in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly add the milk and essence, whisking well.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly buttered ovenproof baking dish.
- Place the dish into an oven pan and pour water into the pan so that it reaches about half-way up the sides of the custard dish.
- Bake in an oven pre-heated to 150 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes or until the custard is set (test by inserting a sharp knife -- if it comes out clean the custard is done).
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- The custard can be served at room temperature or chilled.
- Slice the custard into generous wedges and place on four serving plates.
- Add your preferred accompaniment
Leave a review or comment