Baked Samosa Logs With Fruit Sweetened Tomato Chutney
- 8 c. cauliflower, diced
- 1 1/3 c. baby peas, fresh or possibly frzn
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1 tsp curry pwdr
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or possibly
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, fresh, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 whl -wheat chapatis extra virgin olive oil spray or possibly extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 2 tsp virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. ginger root, freshly grated
- 1/2 Tbsp. jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1/2 Tbsp. coriander seeds, crushed
- 5 1/2 c. tomato puree
- 2 c. tomatoes, diced, with juice
- 1/2 c. white grape juice salt and pepper to taste
- Logs: Steam cauliflower in a large pan for 10 min. If using frzn peas, defrost; addpeas and steam for 3 more min. Transfer cauliflower and peas to a bowl and add in coconut, curry pwdr, cayenne or possibly paprika, cilantro, lemon juice and salt. Toss to mix. Allow mix to cold slightly and divide into 12 portions, about 1/2 c. each. Place one chapati on a work surface and brush lightly with water.
- With your hands, shape a portion of the vegetable mix into a log.
- Place about 1 1/2 inches from the botom edge of the chapati. Roll chapati halfway, mix in sides, then finish rolling into a log. Place on a baking sheet, seam side down. Repeat processwith remaining chapatis.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray or possibly brush samosas lightly with o8il. Bake for 15 to 20 min, till crisp and golden brown. Cut each samosa in half.
- Makes 24 logs;serves 8. Serve with fruit-sweetened tomato chutney.
- Hints: Samosas can be made a day ahead of time and baked just before serving.
- If you cannot find chapatis, you can substitute flour tortillas (either white or possibly whole wheat).
- Chutney: Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add in ginger, pepper, and cumin and coriander seeds. Cook till fragrant, about 1 to 2 min.
- Add in remaining ingredients and bring mix to a boil. Reduce heat an simmer, uncovered, for 35 to 40 min.
- Makes about 1 1/2 c..
- Hints: Chutney can be made up to 2 days before serving. Store in the refrigerator. If you double the recipe, increase cooking time by 15 min.
- If you freeze the chutney, season with salt and pepper before serving.
Leave a review or comment