Baked Pumpkin Custard with Nutmeg Pie "Crisps"Prep: 30 min Cook: 50 min Servings: 8by Robyn Savoie380 recipes>
If baking a pie seems too intimidating, then this variation on the traditional pumpkin pie is just right for you! In fact, even veteran pie bakers love this recipe since it is much easier and can be done in advance. Make the crisps with cinnamon or any other favorite spice. These crisps are delicious as cookies all by themselves or with ice cream. Sometimes I'll make a batch of my Sugared Pecans as a garnish. I attached a link for the recipe.
- Nutmeg Pie Crisps:
- 1 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Sheet From A 15 Oz. Pkg. Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust
- 2 Cups Half-N-Half Light Cream
- 3/4 Cup Pack Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Fresh Cooked Pumpkin, Cooled & Well Drained
- 3 Large Eggs
- 3 Tbsp. Dark Rum
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- For Crisps: In small dish, combine granulated sugar and nutmeg. Place pie crust round on large cookie sheet; sprinkle with about 1 teaspoon of the sugar mixture.
- Use a rolling pin to lightly press the sugar into pastry. Turn pastry over; sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture. Roll sugar into pastry in the same way. With small sharp knife, score pastry into 16 wedges.
- Bake 8 - 10 minutes or until rich golden brown and crisp. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Crisps can be prepared 2 days in advance and stored tightly covered at room temperature.
- For Custard: Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- In medium saucepan, simmer half-and-half and brown sugar, stirring often to dissolve sugar.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk pumpkin, eggs, rum, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla until blended. Slowly whisk in hot half-and-half mixture until blended.
- Divide custard evenly among custard cups. Place cups in a 13 x 9-inch pan half filled with hot water. Bake custards in the bain-marie (water bath) 30 - 40 minutes or until nearly set in center.
- Remove cups from bain-marie; cool. Serve warm when custards are soft, or refrigerate up to 12 hours and serve chilled.
- Top each serving with dollop of whipped cream and accompany with Nutmeg Pie "Crisps."
Leave a review or comment