Baked Caramel CornServings: 10by Jane Evans Bonacci6 recipes>
Original recipe from Jiffy Pop Popcorn. The trick to this recipe is to stir the caramel until the sugar is dissolved and then don’t touch it again until you turn it out of the pan. Stirring brings any undissolved sugar crystals down into the mixture and the whole thing will crystallize again.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup (I use dark, but light is fine too)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 quarts popped popcorn, kept warm (I use 3 bags microwave popcorn)
- Buy plain popcorn if you can find it, try not to use buttered popcorn. Pop it and pour into a large bowl. Make sure you discard any un-popped kernels! Keep warm in a slow oven.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then boil without stirring for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla. Mixture will boil furiously then subside.
- Immediately pour over warm popcorn in very large bowl, stirring until evenly coated. Turn into large baking sheets with sides. Bake at 250Â°F for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool. Break apart and store in airtight containers or zip-top plastic bags.
Leave a review or comment