Awesome Pizza DoughPrep: 15 min Cook: 75 min Servings: 6by John Spottiswood300 recipes>
This recipe is adapted from one perfected at Greens restaurant in San Francisco. The crust is crunchy on the outside but also chewy. I think it's wonderful. I'm going on a pizza making journey and this is stop one. If you've never made your own pizza dough before, it's easy and fun. This recipe makes 2 12-inch crusts. More to come!
- 3 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fine corn meal
- 3 cups bread flour or all purpose flour, plus extra for kneading and rolling
- 1 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water and set aside for 5 minutes until foamy. With a large spoon, stir in the olive oil, cornmeal, flour and salt. Soon you'll have a workable dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. If you haven't kneaded before, essentially you fold the dough over and the push it down into the surface till it flattens a bit, then fold and repeat. Sprinkle flour on the surface as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
- When done, put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and turn it once so the surface of the dough is covered with oil. Then cover the bowl with a dish towel or plastic wrap and let sit and rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. It should about double in size. Then punch the dough down (hit it in the middle repeatedly with your hand in a fist), fold it over tightly and form it into a ball. Then let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- The dough is now ready. It can keep overnight in the refrigerator and also freezes well. If you want to refrigerate or freeze, punch it down, fold it, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Bring it back to room temperature before rolling it. When warm, form into two balls of equal size and roll out into two 12 inch pizza crusts.
- I made one pizza with marinara, oregano, mushrooms, olives, mozzarella and parmesan cheese . The other I made with a basil pesto, mushrooms, mozzarella an parmesan. Both were outstanding, with the pesto being my slight favorite! I baked them for about 12 minutes at 500 F,
Leave a review or comment