Asparagus AlmandinePrep: 15 min Cook: 10 min Servings: 8by Salad Foodie406 recipes>
From <www.asparagusrecipes.net> the description of this recipe reads: "Something magical happens when asparagus meets almonds and lemon. Crispy nuts, tart citrus and ... asparagus combine to make a taste sensation. This side dish is elegant for any entertaining party, but easy enough for any ordinary meal." I made half the recipe following instructions and it was a just as promised- easy and delightful - a great alternative to plain steamed asparagus. Full recipe listed below.
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until color turns bright green, 2-3 minutes. (Directions were vague about whether to cover, and whether to wait til water returns to boil before timing begins. I wanted them slightly crisp, so the color and tender-crisp doneness guided my timing more than the minutes.)
- Remove, rinse under cold water and drain. Set aside.*
- Melt butter in small saucepan (I used a medium-size frypan) over medium heat.
- Add almonds (to melted butter) and cook until lightly browned and fragrant, about 5 minutes (mine starting browning much sooner so watch these closely and reduce heat as needed.)
- Add lemon juice and cook until liquid reduces and becomes cohesive, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour over reserved asparagus. Serve immediately.
- *You may wish to microwave the asparagus a few seconds to rewarm before adding the almond topping in Step 6, so it's served hot.
Leave a review or comment