Arroz con Pollo - Yellow Rice and ChickenPrep: 30 min Cook: 1.5 hours Servings: 8by Salad Foodie406 recipes>
Spanish, Cuban, South American - a traditional and popular ethnic dish, this ranks among my all time favorites and is comfort food at its best! Most often accompanied by black beans (see link) and green peas. Rice takes on a yellow cast from that most expensive of all herbs - saffron. My mom-in-law used a flavoring packet called Vigo which contains paprika, MSG, food dyes and saffron. If saffron isn't available, sub a pinch of paprika, turmeric, a tablespoon of tomato paste, whatever ~ or just season to taste and enjoy!
- 1/3 cup canola oil (or more as needed)
- 4 pounds chicken parts bone-in, separated into serving size pieces, rinsed and patted dry (I used breasts, thighs and legs)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 quart carton chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads (about 2-3 pinches)
- 1 pound long grain rice
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium. Add chicken and cook turning occasionally until golden brown on all sides; continue in batches removing chicken to platter til all is browned.
- In same oil (add more oil if needed or add some butter) saute onions 2 minutes, then add peppers and garlic and cook 2 additional minutes.
- Transfer to a 5 or 6 quart kettle; add tomatoes, water, bay leaf, salt and saffron .
- Stir well then add browned chicken. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Add rice, stir, then cover and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is done and water mostly absorbed.
Leave a review or comment