Aromatic Beef & Vegetable CasserolePrep: 30 min Cook: 3 hours Servings: 6by Ramón Farrugia4 recipes>
This aromatic casserole is guaranteed to make your taste buds work. It is sweet, tart with a hot kick but no flavour overpowers the other. It is just perfect. The vegetables are sweet ones like sweet potato and butternut squash although swede is quite peppery sometimes. I created this dish as I went through my herb & spice pantry which my awesome wife sorted for me lately. It seems that whenever I go to find something there I never do so she made sure that everything is sorted and easy to find. Oh, I'm so messy!! Anyway, give this casserole a go as something new and different from the norm. You can replace butternut squash with pumpkin as well. You will need...
- 800g diced beef
- ½ large butternut squash, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- ½ swede, diced
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 2 inch piece liquorice root
- 1 black cardamom pod, crushed
- 1 ½ teaspoons hot paprika
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 500ml beef stock
- 500ml water
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet and add beef. Cook until brown.
- Add vegetables, parsley, liquorice, cardamom, cinnamon & hot paprika and stir well.
- Add stock & water, stir again.
- Cover and put in oven for 3 hours.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and extra chopped parsley.
Leave a review or comment