APPLE layered SPIRIT custard cakeServings: 10by Foodessa340 recipes>
A buttery apple Grand Marnier spirit custard sponge cake like no other. Influenced by a Chilean 'Kuchen Borracho' aka 'Drunken cake'. Slices display layers enclosing sweet and tart apples within a creamy custard. For a dedicated post...refer to: https://www.foodessa.com/2018/11/apple-layered-spirit-custard-cake.html
- . < American measures >
- . > Apple filling: - apples: peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- . 3 small 'Golden Delicious' type apples
- . 3 small 'McIntosh' type apples
- . 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- . 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- . > Cake batter:
- . 2 cups All Purpose flour
- . 2 tsps. baking powder
- . 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- . 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- . 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- . 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- . 3 xLarge eggs, separated, then at room temp.
- . 1 small lemon, finely zested
- . 1/4 cup Grand Marnier or Triple sec liquor
- . 1/4 cup water
- . granulated sugar for topping sprinkle
- . Lightly oil and line a 9 inch spring form pan with a bottom parchment paper. Set the cake pan onto a baking sheet in case of possible leakage. Pre-heat the oven to 325F. Position the oven rack in the center.
- . In a very large measuring cup or deep, medium bowl, first whisk the cream and sugar. Add the thinly sliced apples and coat them well as you proceed. Cover the container and set aside.
- . In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- . In a large bowl, beat together the butter, oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at the time. Beat well before adding the lemon zest, liquor and water. Gradually add the flour mix and make sure not to over beat it.
- . In a separate medium bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Then, with a spatula, gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
- . > Assembly: In the cake pan, spread out 1/3 of the batter throughout the bottom. Add half the amount of apple slices in the center and slightly towards the edge, all the while making sure to leave a 1/2 inch space all around the edge. Continue with another 1/3 amount of batter and the other half of the apples. Finish with the remaining 1/3 batter. Sprinkle the top with granulated sugar.
- . BAKE for no more than 1:25 hours. Then, let it cool for 30 minutes on a wire rack before very carefully passing a flat edged tool around the cake pan before releasing the clip. Cool the cake completely for 2 hours before serving.
- . This cake will keep 3-4 days at room temperature. Also freezes well in individual slices.
- . Flavourful wishes from Claudia's kitchen...FOODESSA.com
Leave a review or comment