Apple Brie Appetizer SoupPrep: 15 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 4by Sara Gray8 recipes>
Well, this appetizer soup certainly surprised me! It's reminiscent of a Brie appetizer that's garnished with apples, but made into a soup appetizer - a new twist on an old theme. Serve your guests this delicious appetizer and they'll want to skip dinner (just kidding!) It's delicate in nature and the riper the Brie cheese, the deeper the flavor. The sweetness of the apples makes for a nice contrast and the combination of the flavors usually pleases ever the pickiest of eaters.
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 celery stalks with chopped leaves
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 2 apples (cored and peeled - reserve the peels for garnish)
- 2 Tablespoon flour
- 1 8-ounce Brie round
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- salt (to taste)
- ground white pepper (to taste)
- Toasted almonds (sliced - used for garnish)
- Slowly melt the butter in a medium saucepan and stir in the celery, onions, and the cored apples.
- Saute the mixture on a low heat until every thing is soft and has turned golden in color. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and continue to cook the mixture for approximately 3 minutes - you'll need to stir it the whole time you are cooking it.
- Pour into the mixture 1 cup of the chicken stock and whisk it briskly until it becomes thick and a little bubbly.
- Whisk in the remaining stock and bring it all to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the mixture and simmer it for another 15 mintues or so. Sounds like a lot of work, and maybe it is a little more work than some of the appetizers listed here on this site, but it's so worth it!
- Take out of the saucepan whatever solids remain and puree them in a food processor or blender. Then return the pureed mix back to the saucepan.
- Remove the rind from the Brie cheese and cube it. If you are going to serve this appetizer soup soon after preparing it, make sure the Brie is at room temperature. Otherwise, don't remove the rind and cube until you are ready to use.
- When you are ready to bring out this apple brie appetizer soup, reheat on low heat, then stir in the Brie cheese cubes. Melt the cheese slowly while you stir it once in awhile. Then, when the cheese is completely melted, whisk it all very briskly.
- Puree the mixture a little if the consistency is not smooth. Then, stir the heavy cream into the mixture. Lastly, ladle the soup into your soup bowls and with the apple curls, garnish each bowl, topping with the toasted almonds.
Leave a review or comment