17 Bean Barley Soup Flavored with Smoked Ham Hocks and Spices
Hearty comfort food with Southern/Asian influences --17 bean and barley soup flavored with smoked ham hocks, herbs, smoked paprika, fresh ginger and Asian sauces
- 1 16-oz. bag 17 Bean and Barley Mix (Trader Joe’s) or any bean mixture
- 2- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 oz) diced Italian tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- ¾ cup red onion chopped
- 1 ¼ cups celery chopped
- 1 ¼ cup chopped carrot
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ inches peeled fresh ginger finely chopped
- ¾ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 medium potatoes Yukon gold, peeled and diced
- 4 medium sized smoked ham hocks (slightly less than 2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- fresh basil shredded 3 tablespoons or 1 teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon sage or 5-6 leaves fresh sage, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon dark low salt soy sauce
- 2-½ Tablespoons -3 Tablespoons of fish sauce (Note: Fish sauce is available in most Asian stores. My preferred brands are: Three Crabs Brand Fish Sauce or Flying Lion or Thai Kitchen Fish Sauce
- Rinse and soak barley and bean mix overnight in water (water level about 1 inch above mix) and discard the water.
- In a small pan, heat the olive oil and saute onions, celery, potatoes, carrots, red pepper garlic, and ginger in the pan and add the ham hocks until vegetables are soft.
- Transfer vegetables to a large slow cooker and add bean/barley mix, vegetable broth, tomatoes, thyme, herbes de provence, basil, sage, smoked paprika, and sugar. Simmer on high for 5-6 hours. May add additional broth or water while soup is simmering depending on whether you want a thinner soup.
- In the last hour before serving, add seasonings to tasteâfish sauce and pepper. Add salt last (since the fish sauce will already add a salty flavor).
- Note: If concerned about the fatty content in ham hocks, before serving, take out the ham hocks and serve soup separately with hot crusty bread.
Leave a review or comment