Barley, Silverbeet, And Lima Bean Soup
- 1 c. medium pearl barley
- 2 x onions minced coarse
- 1 c. minced carrot
- 2 lrg garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 quart water (12 c.)
- 1 quart chicken broth (4 c.)
- 2 x smoked ham hocks
- 4 x parsley sprigs
- 1 c. minced celery
- 1 lb Silverbeet washed well and minced coarse a (10-oz) package frzn lima beans
- 1 tsp dry basil crumbled
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme crumbled
- In a baking pan toast the barley in a preheated 375F. oven, shaking the pan occasionally, for 5 to 7 min, or possibly till it is aromatic. In a large
- kettle cook the onions, the carrot, and the garlic in the oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, till the vegetables are browned.
- Add in the water, the broth, the ham hocks, and the parsley and simmer the mix, uncovered, for 1 hour. Add in the toasted barley and the celery and simmer the mix, uncovered, for 45 min. Transfer the ham hocks with tongs to a cutting board, throw away the fat and bones, and chop the ham
- coarse. To the kettle add in the ham, the Silverbeet, the lima beans, the basil, the thyme, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer the soup for 15 to 20 min, or possibly till the silverbeet is tender.
- Makes about 15 c., serving 6 as a main course.
Leave a review or comment