Zucchini Meatballs in Cream Sauce - Microwave Quick!Prep: 20 min Cook: 11 min Servings: 6by Salad Foodie390 recipes>
Several good reasons to save this recipe: to use up zucchini; to keep the kitchen cool by microwaving the main dish; and because the meatballs are loaded with veggies, are moist and creamy. This is one of my two all-time FAVS from the peak microwave cookbook era of the 80's and 90's. If you prefer, use homemade cream sauce in place of canned cream soup to better control sodium and additives. (My other FAV microwave recipe is linked below, and makes a nice dessert for this meal: Microwave Apple Crisp.)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (or part ground turkey or sausage, etc.)
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 10 1/2 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- Dash nutmeg
- Cooked rice, noodles or potatoes (optional)
- NOTE: I used a 1200 watt microwave oven. You may need to adjust cooking time accordingly for your oven, up or down 30 to 60 seconds to each of the two microwave cooking times listed. Do not double recipe but to serve more, make 2 batches, because cooking time is proportional to amount cooked.
- Combine ground beef, onion, garlic, zucchini, cilantro, egg, bread crumbs, salt and peppers in large bowl, mixing well. Form into 30 meatballs about 1 1/2 inches diameter. Arrange in a 9 to 10-inch microwavable casserole dish, in a circular pattern. Cover dish with paper towel.
- Microwave on HIGH 6 minutes, or until meat is set. Remove dish from microwave and drain juices away. (If desired refrigerate drained juices for other uses.)
- Mix together creamed soup, sour cream, milk and nutmeg; spread over meatballs. Cover with waxed paper and microwave on HIGH
- 5 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Stir lightly before serving to incorporate juices at bottom.
- Serve with rice, noodles, or potatoes if desired.
Leave a review or comment