Young Mens Business League Secret Recipe Chocolate Beer ChiliPrep: 4 hours Cook: 27 hours Servings: 15by Glenn37 recipes>
The Young Men's Business League of Lititz Pennsylvania enters this chili in the annual Fire and Ice Chili Cookoff. Please don't pass it on it's a secret. To make the low-calorie version substitute a light beer for the stout and eat it only when drunk enough not to have active taste buds.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 3 cups sweet peppers (diced)
- 4 jalapenos
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 40 oz can Great Northern kidney beans (drained)
- 2 cups stout beer (we use Young's Double Chocolate Stout from the Bull's Head in Lititz but any good craft stout will do)
- Unsweetened chocolate powder (to taste)
- Brewed coffee (to taste)
- 4 Tbs chili powder
- 3 Tbs cumin
- 2 Tbs Cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
- 3 Tbs dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine ground meat, salt, pepper, dark brown sugar, 1/2 cup of coffee plus half of chili powder, chocolate and cumin. Refrigerate for a minimum of one hour (overnight gives a stronger flavor mix).
- Dice peppers, onion and garlic. Place in roasting pan and mix in corn oil, cumin, chocolate, salt and pepper. Roast at 425 degrees for 1 to 2 hours.
- Cook meats, drain and add roasted vegetables.
- Add tomatoes, beer and beans. Simmer on low heat (electric 3 or less) for one hour before adding spices and flavors to taste. Stir frequently to avoid burning. (If your inattention or too high heat makes it necessary to scrape it from the bottom throw it out it is ruined) Simmer on low for at least three hours.
- It is S T R O N G L Y recommended that it be cooled and refrigerated at least overnight before being slowly warmed for serving.
Leave a review or comment