Vinaigrette Coleslaw IPrep: 20 min Servings: 6by Salad Foodie405 recipes>
Light with a nice balance of sweet/sour, Vinaigrette Coleslaw has become one of my favorites from BGH.COM, and makes a welcome change from creamy coleslaw recipes. Consider it especially for outings, barbecues and picnics because it does not contain mayonnaise. Suit your taste or time selection of cabbage with all green, a combo of green and red, or bagged coleslaw mix. Over time leftover salad with large amount of red cabbage will turn the salad a light beet color, so gauge the amount you use accordingly, or make enough to serve with no leftovers, if that’s a concern. See Useful Links below for a variation of this recipe: Vinaigrette Coleslaw II.
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery or caraway seeds (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Several dashes (or to taste) bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage (or green cabbage)
- 1 cup shredded carrots (2 medium)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (about 2)
- In a screw top jar combine vinegar, sugar, oil, dry mustard, celery or caraway seeds (optional), salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce (optional); cover and shake well.
- In large bowl combine green and red cabbage, carrots and onions.
- Pour vinaigrette over cabbage mixture; toss lightly to coat.
- Chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Yield: 6 side serving dishes.
Leave a review or comment