Vermont Baked BeansPrep: 5 min Cook: 3 hours Servings: 8by Micheline120 recipes>
These are my favourite baked beans because they remain white when cooked and just sweet enough. I always double the recipe. Freezes well.
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 4 cups water
- 5 pieces of chopped, cooked, crispy bacon
- 3 tbsp. of bacon fat
- 1 whole large onion
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground (dry) mustard
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Soak beans overnight in a lot of water. Drain and rinse beans, discarding the water. Place the beans in a Dutch oven or cast iron pot. Add water. Bring to a boil.
- In the meantime, cook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Drain the fat and reserve. Place the onion in the middle of the beans, add the maple syrup, dry mustard, salt and pepper and bacon and bacon fat. Cover and bake in a 300 degrees F oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until the beans are tender and reach the desired consistency. Stir the beans every 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with freshly baked bread.
Leave a review or comment