Uncle Gary's Apple PiePrep: 45 min Cook: 1 hours Servings: 8by J. Gino Genovesi60 recipes>
This pie is "mountain High" when baked by Gary Supeck. This simple recipe is a must for anyone who wants a great tasting quality apple pie. Gary was a Marine and retired railroad worker, and is a talented baker. Try this recipe for a great surprise. I have made a few adjustments but the recipe is pretty much the same.
- For Crust:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup Crisco
- 10 T. ice cold water
- Ingredients for pie Filling"
- 14 apples, pealed, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- dash of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 1/2 T. butter
- 1/3rd cup flour.
- For Crust:
- Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl, pulse to mix.
- Add Crisco, pulse again.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulse until mixture clumps together.
- Pinch the dough, and if it clumps together, it is ready.
- On floured board, roll into a ball; cut in half.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to fit a 10 inch deep dish pie pan.
- Lightly grease the pie pan and place bottom crust in the pan. Gently press the pie dough so it lines the bottom and sides of the pie pan
- Combine apples in bowl.
- Add sugar, dash of salt, 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Stir
- Add 2 1/2 T. butter, 1/3 cup flour. Stir well assuring apples are evenly coated.
- Place filling in bottom crust, heaping apples in the center,
- Put on top crust, pinch or flute the edges and be sure they stick together.
- Slice vents on top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush entire top crust with milk to get golden brown crust.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake for 1 hour or until you see bubbling at the top.
Leave a review or comment