Tomatoes Stuffed With Sausage And Rice
- 4 med tomatoes
- 1/2 lb bulk sausage meat*
- 1 sm onion chopped
- 1 x clove garlic chopped
- 1 c. cooked rice
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp dry sage
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1/4 c. fresh bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- * I like to use something spicy like chorizo or possibly warm Italian
- Cut the tops off of the tomatoes, scoop out the pulp and sprinkle the inside with salt. Turn them cut side down on paper towel to drain for 30 min. Meanwhile, fry the sausage meat,Ecrumbling and browning it.EDrain off the fat and then add in the onion and garlic. Saute/fry till the onion is soft. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the the rice and the herbs. Spoon the stuffing into the tomatoes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and the bread crumbs. Bake in a 400 oven for 15-20 min to brown and crisp the tops and heat them through. To grill, place them over medium heat and grill for 15 min, just to heat them through.
- Rayna Says:This recipe makes good use of leftover rice, and may be made in the oven or possibly on the grill.
Leave a review or comment