Tomato and Chicken Penne
A quick weeknight pasta dish that is surprising low in fat and calories.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 28 oz tomato juice
- 2 tbs basil pesto
- 14 oz diced tomatoes, with herbs
- 2 tbs no-salt Italian Seasoning
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 tbs parmesan or romano cheese, grated
- 2 tbs 5% or 10% cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- To a large dutch oven add the tomato juice, diced tomatoes, onion, salt, pepper and Italian Seasoning.
- Stir in the uncooked pasta and bring the pot to a gentle simmer.
- Continue to stir occasionally until the pasta is almost done.
- While the pot is gently simmering mix together the pesto, cream and grated cheese and set aside.
- Add the cooked chicken and stir to mix.
- When the pasta is al-dente take off the heat and add the pesto and cheese mix stirring to blend in well.
- Allow the pasta to sit off the heat for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with additional grated cheese if desired.
Leave a review or comment