Toasted Pita with Black Sesame Seeds and Sumac
From Fine Cooking This recipe makes more than you need for our summer picnic menu, but you won’t regret it. The pita chips keep well in a sealed bag. The Garlic-Yogurt Sauce makes a great dip.
- 2 tsp. black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. ground sumac
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne; more to taste
- Kosher salt
- 6 whole wheat or white pita breads
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, approximately
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400Â°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the black sesame seeds, sumac, cayenne, and 1-1/2 tsp. salt.
- Split each pita horizontally into 2 rounds and tear each round into 3 rustic pieces. Brush a large rimmed baking sheet with a generous amount of olive oil, and spread 12 of the pita pieces in a single layer, inner side down, on the sheet. Brush the outer side of the pita with additional olive oil and sprinkle evenly with about a third of the spice mixture. Toast the pita in the oven until golden brown and crisp, about 8 minutes. Repeat with the remaining pita and spice mixture in two more batches.
Leave a review or comment