The Best Veggie GratinPrep: 40 min Cook: 1 hours Servings: 6by Culinary Envy188 recipes>
The Best Veggie Gratin is a delicious, easy to make, vegetarian casserole. Made with yummy multi-layered veggies in a cheesy egg custard; this is one kid-pleasing dish!
- 3 eggplants, peeled and sliced into rounds ¼-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, for soaking
- 4 medium heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into rounds ¼-inch thick
- ½ cup olive oil, plus some for drizzling
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, sliced very thin
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat an oven to 375 °F
- In a large bowl, dissolve 2 tablespoons salt in 1 cup warm water. When the salt is dissolved, place the eggplant slices in the salt water. Add enough cool water to cover the eggplant, around 4 to 5 cups. Set a plate that is slightly smaller than the top of the bowl on the eggplant pieces to keep them submerged in the water. Let sit for 30 minutes. (Brining eggplant removes bitterness and keeps the texture from turning dry and leathery when roasting or grilling.)
- While the eggplant is soaking, place the tomato and zucchini slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or Silpat non-stick baking mat and drizzle lightly with some olive oil. Lightly salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes. The tomatoes and zucchini should release most of their moisture and become soft and shriveled. Take the vegetables out and let cool. Set aside.
- Drain the eggplant and thoroughly pat dry with paper towels.
- Lay the eggplant slices out evenly on baking sheets and lightly brush with olive oil on both sides. You’ll probably use around ½ cup of olive oil to do this because it soaks it up quite a bit. Lightly salt and pepper. Roast until the eggplant is soft, about 30 minutes. In a large oval casserole dish layer the eggplant, zucchini, tomato and onion. Whisk together the eggs, cream, Parmesan cheese, parsley and remaining spices.
- Pour the custard on top of the vegetable layers.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes until the custard is set and lightly browned.
Leave a review or comment