Thai Short RibsPrep: 15 min Cook: 4-8 hours Servings: 4by Nancy Miyasaki193 recipes>
If you've had Korean short ribs, and loved them, you should definitely give these Thai short ribs a try! Short ribs, the flavorful, fatty cuts from the ends of the rib bones, may be my favorite red meat. Get the shorter, English cut short ribs if you can. The sauce is a classic Thai combination of hot, sour, salty, and sweet. A delight for the taste buds!
- 3-4 pounds beef short ribs (English cut)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Oil spray
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp minced ginger
- 3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Fish Sauce (Thai or Vietnamese is fine)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 lime juice and finely grated zest
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 scallions, cut into thin slices
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
- Preheat a broiler on high. Season the meaty parts of the short ribs with salt and pepper and set bone-side down on an oven tray. Spray with oil and broil until the meaty parts are browned (about 10 minutes). Transfer to a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Mix together the garlic, ginger, hoisin, vinegar, fish sauce, honey, soy sauce, and lime juice and zest in a small bowl, and pour over the short ribs. Cover the slow cooker and cook until tender, about 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- Transfer the ribs to a platter. Skim the fat from the liquid, then add the jalapeno, scallions, and cilantro and cook on high for 5 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the meat and serve.
- I served with roasted asparagus, white rice, and a salad,
Leave a review or comment